I’m so happy with myself right now! I got two book reviews done, a blog post over at my other site, and finished some other bloggy housekeeping tasks done :). I deserve just a little reward for my hard work, yeah? ;)
I really enjoyed the questionnaire post from last week so I snooped around the internet a bit and found another one good ol’ Goodreads! You can find it here.
1. What book are you reading right now?
I just started The Great Gatsby this afternoon and I’m about to start 1776. I’m also reading Christ’s Object Lessons, Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill and Les Miserables.
2. What will you read next?
East of Eden, Robinson Crusoe, Anne of Green Gables, and Betsy and Tacy go Downtown
3. What was your favorite childhood book?
Childhood spans many years…
Dr. Suess’s The Hair Book before I learned to read.
Alcott’s Little Women in 8th grade.
4. What were your reading habits like as a kid?
I was an avid reader when I was a kid. American Girl was really popular and I read almost every single one of the series. I also loved The Boxcar Children and the Little House books.
5. How many books do you have checked out from the library?
I don’t even know…upwards of 25 at a time. I know I’ve payed exorbitant late fees! :S
6. What books do you have on hold at the library?
The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future(Or, Don’t Trust Anyone Under 30) by Mark Bauerlein
Redeeming Love by Francis Rivers
The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement by Jean M. Twenge & W. Keith Campbell
7. Do you have a bad book habit?
. . .Not that I know of. Well, maybe reading too many at one time.
8. Do you read one book at a time, or several?
Refer to #1 & #2
9. What is your favorite book you’ve read this year?
Probably Jeff Goins’ You Are a Writer. I also loved re-reading Anne of Green Gables :)
10. What is your least favorite book you’ve read this year?
T. S. Elliot’s The Waste Land. Waste. Of. My. Time. :/
11. What is your reading comfort zone?
Definitely children’s lit and YA fiction. Just because revisiting my favorites feels so homey.
12. How often do you read outside of your comfort zone?
More and more often. The many of the classics on my CC list are way out of my comfort zone. Text I have to read for my courses is way out of my comfort zone. I like it though. It stretches my brain and that’s important.
13. What is your favorite place to read?
My bed or on the couch.
14. Do you lend out books?
15. Do you dog-ear books?
16. Do you write in the margins of books?
Only my Bible and textbooks I own.
17. What makes you love a book?
A well written story. Well organized thoughts. Inspiring ideas. Punchy copy. Loveable characters; complex characters. Great dialogue. Even if the story if frustrating, if it’s legit and well written, you have to give the author props for being gutsy. I like that.
18. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If the book inspired me.
19. What is the one book you will always recommend to everyone?
20. Is there a book you love that nobody else seems to?
Not that I can think of.
21. Do you read while you are: Eating? Taking a bath? Watching TV? Listening to music? On the computer? On the bus?
22. What is your favorite genre to read?
23. What genre do you rarely read, but wish you read more of?
24. What is your favorite biography?
Ha! Right now, Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass.
25. What is your favorite non-fiction?
Right now, anything by Leslie Ludy.
26. Have you ever read a self-help book?
27. What is your favorite reading snack?
28. What is the most inspirational book you’ve read this year?
You are a Writer
29. Are there any books that have been ruined for you by all the hype?
No. I hardly ever read pop lit in any genre.
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
Eh, I’d say about 80% of the time.
31. How do you feel about giving negative reviews?
Truth’s the truth. If you didn’t like the book, be honest and the explain why.
32. What book are you most intimidated to begin?
Those by Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.
33. What book are you most likely to take on vaction with you?
Either fiction by Austen, Alcott, Lovelace or Montgomery, or non-fiction off my TBR list.
34. What is the longest you have gone without reading?
35. What is a book that you just couldn’t finish?
Currently, Dicken’s The Old Curiosity Shop. But I’m going to give it another shot.
36. What is the most money you have spent on books at one time?
Couple hundred. But they were gifts :).
37. How often do you skim through a book before reading it?
Depends on the book. If it was on my reading list, then rarely. If I’m at the library, I skim.
38. Do you keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
39. Are there any books that you’ve been avoiding, or refuse to read?
Specific titles?? I don’t know…there are genres that I generally avoid or do not touch.
40. What is a book you didn’t expect to like, but did?
Carry On, Mr. Bowditch in grade school. I remember thinking I wasn’t going to like it but ended up devouring it in a couple of days!
41. What is your favorite guilt-free pleasure reading?
Probably L.M. Alcott or Joan Bauer.
42. What reading materials are in your bathroom right now?
43. What book do you most remember reading for school?
So many! I really liked The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare.
44. What was the last book that you couldn’t put down until you finished it?
Teaching True Love to a Sex-at-13 Generation by Eric and Leslie Ludy
45. What book is (physically) closest to you right now?
My Betsy-Tacy Treasury and my Kindle Paperwhite.
46. What is your favorite book series?
Anne of Green Gables
47. What is the longest book you’ve ever read? Shortest?
Gone with the Wind. I think The Waste Land? I don’t know…
48. Who is your favorite book character?
It’s a tie between Jo March Anne Shirley.
49. Who is favorite author?
50. What is your favorite book?
Actually, one of my absolute favorite stories and go-to audiobooks is The Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson. It’s a really great story and I need to review it one of these days.
. . .
Whew!! That was long!
Time for bed :)